Hi Lori, Can you believe it’s December already! Something I’ve always emphasized is moderation. The holidays are the easiest time of the year to overindulge. This year, feel free to enjoy the foods you love, just in smaller quantities. You will feel just as satisfied, minus all the guilt. I would also recommend to start meals with salads and vegetables. This will make it easier to eat other foods in moderation. Attending a holiday party? Try bringing a platter of our vegan, organic crackers along with some homemade guacamole or hummus. In honor of the upcoming holidays, here’s a healthy gluten free recipe to share with others.
Mary’s Gluten Free Apple Crisp
5 Organic Granny Smith apples (should be very crisp and tart)
¼ cup sugar
½ tsp. cinnamon
1 small lemon (juice from)
½ cup quinoa flakes
½ cup walnuts or almonds (chopped well)
½ cup Mary’s Gone Crackers Original Crumbs
½ cup sugar
2 tsp. cinnamon
½ cup* melted butter (or substitute with ghee, coconut oil or other light tasting oil)
*enough fat to ensure all topping ingredients are coated but crumbly enough to sprinkle on top of the apples.
1. Peel, core and slice apples.
2. Put apples, sugar, cinnamon and lemon juice in a large bowl, mix well and pour into an ungreased baking dish.
3. Shake the pan to distribute the apples well.
4. Combine all topping ingredients and mix well.
5. Evenly distribute the topping on the apples and pat down.
6. Bake at 350 degrees for about 45 minutes or until apples are tender and bubbly. If topping begins to brown too much, turn the heat down to 325 and cover with foil.
Valerie Douglass, DTR
Mary’s Gone Crackers, Inc.
Join us on Facebook! http://www.facebook.com/MarysGoneCrackers