1/2 lb. red lentils, rinsed
1 1/2 cups vegetable stock
1/2 medium onion, peeled and diced
1 clove of chopped garlic
1 Tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
10 ounces sliced mushrooms (this is about 6+ cups!)
1/2 Tbsp. chopped thyme
1 Tbsp. chopped oregano
1/4 tsp. kosher salt
1/2 cup Mary's Gone Crackers Original Just the Crumbs
1/4 cup tomato paste
1 tsp. gluten-free Worcestershire sauce
1 Tbsp. chopped basil
1 1/2 Tbsp. chopped parsley
2 oz. Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese, finely grated
1 egg at room temperature, beaten
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
2. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set it aside.
3. Place the lentils and the stock in a medium heavy-bottom saucepan, and bring to a boil.
4. Turn down the heat, cover, and allow to simmer for 10 to 12 minutes, or until most of the liquid is absorbed.
5. While the lentils are cooking, heat the oil over medium high heat in a medium sized pan. When the oil is hot, add the onion and cook for three minutes, then add the crushed garlic.
6. Cook for two more minutes until both are soft.
7. Add the sliced mushrooms, thyme, oregano and salt.
8. Cook until the mushrooms have reduced in size by about half and have softened.
9. Drain the mushrooms of any excess liquid, and allow them to cool briefly.
10 Puree the onion/mushroom mixture in a food processor, and pulse until the mixture begins to clump. It will be chunky, not completely smooth, but you should not see any recognizable pieces of mushroom.
11. Add Mary's Gone Crackers Original Just the Crumbs to the onion/mushroom mix and pulse once more, remove to a large bowl.
12. Add half of the cooked lentils to the food processor, and pulse until mostly smooth.
13. Transfer both the processed and the whole lentils to the bowl with the mushroom/onion mixture.
14. Add the tomato paste, gluten-free Worcestershire, basil, parsley, grated cheese and eggs.
15. Mix gently to combine.
16 With a medium ice cream scoop, scoop the mixture onto the prepared baking sheet with each scoop about 1 inch apart from the other.
17. Drizzle the tops lightly with olive oil, and bake until mostly firm to the touch (about 20 minutes).
18. Broil for 5 minutes, rotating once during broiling. The tops should brown lightly.
19 Remove from the oven and allow to cool briefly before serving. The meatballs will firm up as they cool.
20. Serve with your favorite gluten-free pasta and sauce!