3 lbs. cauliflower
4 Tbsp. organic extra-virgin olive oil
2 Tbsp. chickpea flour
2 cups non-dairy milk, warmed
½ tsp. kosher salt
¼ tsp. black pepper
A pinch of nutmeg
½ cup vegan cheddar cheese, shredded
1/3 cup Mary’s Gone Crackers Original Just The Crumbs
2 Tbsp. vegan grated parmesan
1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
2. Core the cauliflower and cut the head into large florets.
3. Blanche the cauliflower in a pot of boiling water for just a few minutes. You want to be tender but still have crunch.
4. Drain and rinse with cold water to stop the cooking.
5. In a medium-size saucepan, heat 2 Tbsp. olive oil over medium heat and whisk in the flour until well combined. Let it cook for a minute so you won’t taste the flour.
6. Slowly add the warm milk, whisking, until you have a smooth sauce. This is your béchamel sauce.
7. Add salt, pepper and nutmeg.
8. Add the cheese and whisk until smooth.
9. Turn off the heat and set aside.
10. Put a few ladles of the béchamel sauce in the bottom of an 8 x 8 baking dish.
11. Add the cauliflower to the baking dish and cover with the remaining cheese sauce.
12. In a small dish, combine the gluten free bread crumbs, parmesan and 2 Tbsp. of olive oil. Mix and sprinkle over the cauliflower.
13. Bake for 30 minutes or until the top begins to brown.
14. Turn the oven on broiler for two minutes to really crisp up the top.
15. Let sit for a few minutes to set before serving.
(Thank you to Rhea at The V Word for this wonderful gluten free recipe.)