1 eggplant, peeled
1/2 cup chickpea flour
2 tsp. arrowroot powder
2 tsp. dried basil
2 tsp. dried oregano
2 tsp. paprika
Salt and pepper to taste
2 Tbsp. fresh parsley, chopped
2 Tbsp. ground flaxseed + 6 Tbsp. water
1 1/2 cups non-dairy milk
1 1/2 cups Mary’s Gone Crackers Original Just The Crumbs
Cooking oil spray
Marinara sauce for dipping (optional)
1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
2. Prepare two large baking sheets by lining them with parchment paper.
3. Cut the eggplant into large fries.
4. In a small bowl, mix the flaxseed and water into a paste. Let it stand for ten minutes until it thickens. This will act as your binder.
5. Mix the flour, arrowroot and half the seasonings in a shallow dish.
6. In a second shallow bowl, add the milk and the flax/water mix. Stir well.
7. Add the gluten-free bread crumb alternative, the remaining seasonings and the parsley to the third shallow bowl.
8. Toss the eggplant in the flour mixture and shake off the excess, dip in the milk/flax mixture, then into the bread crumb mixture.
9. Place the eggplant on the baking sheets in a single layer.
10. Spray with the cooking oil.
11. Bake for 25-30 minutes or until the fries are golden and crispy. Flip the fries and rotate the pans half-way through the baking time.
12. Serve with marinara sauce. (optional)
(Thank you to Rhea at The V Word for this wonderful gluten free recipe.)